NHS Complaints

Most medical care and treatment goes well, but things occasionally can go wrong and you may want to register a complaint. Every NHS organisation has a complaints procedure depending on the service and place of your treatment.

This help guide is designed to give you a list of local health services in East Herts along with their contact details and their complaints procedure.

East and North Hertfordshire (CCG)

East and North Hertfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is responsible for the commissioning of NHS services across Hertfordshire. You can complain about any NHS treatment you have received straight to the Hertfordshire PCT whose contact details are listed below.

East and North Hertfordshire CCG
Charter House
Welwyn Garden City

Tel: 01707 685 000
Email: Please follow the link



All GP surgeries should have a written complaints procedure, and you will find this at reception or on the practice website. As a first step you should speak to the practice manager.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, or you'd rather not raise the issue directly with the practice, you can complain to NHS England.

Address: NHS England, PO Box 16728, Redditch, B97 9PT
Telephone: 0300 311 22 33


East and North Herts Trust

East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust are responsible for providing a wide range of emergency and inpatient services in Hertfordshire. This includes services at the QEII and Lister Hospitals

To make a complaint about the Lister Hospital or a service at the QEII you should write to the Chief Executive of the East and North Herts NHS trust. Details are provided below.

Address: Nick Carver, Chief Executive, East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, Lister Hospital, Coreys Mill Lane, Stevenage, Hertfordshire SG1 4AB
E-mail: patcomplaints.enh-tr@nhs.net
Telephone: 01438 285811
Website: www.enherts-tr.nhs.uk/patients-visitors/patient-surveys/concerns-and-complaints

Princess Alexandra Hospital

For complaints against the Princess Alexandra you should contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the following address:

Address: The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust, Hamstel Road, Harlow, CM20 1QX
E-mail: complaints@pah.nhs.uk
Telephone: 01239 827084
Website: www.pah.nhs.uk

If you feel you need to take your complaint further you can do so by writing to the Customer Services and Complaints Department and Chief Executives Office at the same address

Community Services

If you have issues about Community Services as part of the Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust please contact:

Address: Patient Experience Team, Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust, Howard Court, Tewin Road, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire AL7 1BW

E-mail: complaints.hchs@nhs.net

Telephone: 01707 388036

Website: www.hct.nhs.uk/contact-us/patient-advice-and-liaison-service



If you wish to make a complaint about the care or service provided by your dentist or dental surgery, contact the person responsible for the practice complaints procedure.

If you are unable to resolve your complaint with the practice, please contact:

Address: NHS England, PO Box 16728, Redditch, B97 9PT

Telephone: 0300 311 22 33

Website: www.england.nhs.uk/contact-us/complaint


If you wish to make a complaint about private dental services, contact the Dental Complaints Service at the following contact address:

Address: Dental Complaints Service, Stephenson House, 2 Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon,  CR0 6BA

Phone: 08456 120540
Email: info@dentalcomplaints.org.uk
Website: www.dentalcomplaints.org.uk

This service is funded by the General Dental Council, which sets out standards of conduct for and regulates all dental professionals in the UK.


Mental Health

If you would like to make a complaint relating to mental health treatment you should first take up the matter with the GP practice or hospital you are in contact with to resolve the matter.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome you can write to Hertfordshire Primary Care Trust at the following address:

Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust

Address: Chief Executive, HPFT, The Colonnades, Beaconsfield Road, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL10 8YE
E-mail: complaints@hpft.nhs.uk
Telephone: 01707 253916
Website: www.hpft.nhs.uk/your-involvement/listening-and-learning-from-complaints


How to take your case further

If you have followed these channels but are still unhappy with the level of service you have received you can take you case to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombadsman at

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower
Complaints Helpline Tel: 0345 015 4033
Email: phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk

Full details and the circumstances in which you may be able to take your case further can be found here. http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/

* This help guide is by no means definitive, nor should it be relied upon as legal advice *