Attending a new school is a very important step for your child and it can be a distressing time if your child is not allocated a school place of your choice. However, as an MP, I do not have the authority to change the allocation decisions made by Hertfordshire County Council. However, helping other parents here are the key steps you need to know.

When your child is near the age of joining primary school or leaving to go to secondary school, you will receive an information leaflet from Hertfordshire County Council. This leaflet will provide an overview on how to apply whether for a primary or secondary school place for your child. If you have not received a leaflet on how to apply for a school place for your child you should contact Hertfordshire County Council on Tel: 0300 123 4043.

How to apply

You will be able to apply for a school place either online or by requesting an application pack.

If you are applying online, you will first need to register and can continually check the progress of your application status by logging back into the Herts County Council online system.

For primary school places, leaflets are typically distributed in November allowing you to apply by January and will be informed of your child’s allocated school place in April.

For secondary school places, leaflets are typically distributed in September, allowing you to apply in September and you will be informed of your child’s allocated school place in October.

As part of the application, you will be asked to select three schools in order of preference that you would like your child to go to. This is for both primary and secondary school.

It is important to make sure that you are familiar with the deadlines of applications to ensure your child’s application has the best possible chance of success.

If you have not already made an application, or it is late, or you believe there has been a mistake in your application you should contact HCC Customer Services Centre on 0300 123 4043 to request an application form.

Nursery Places

Leaflets are also sent to parents looking to apply for their child to attend a nursery. You can apply for nursery places through the County Council’s online system (similar to primary and secondary school applications) or you can contact the nurseries directly who will provide you with an application pack.

Continued Interest List

If your child has been unsuccessful in securing a school place in one of their three choices your child will be put onto the ‘continued interest list’. You should continue to monitor your application status if you are put onto this list as this is to give you the best opportunity to apply for an alternative school should you not be successful with your continued interest in a school of your choice. Politely, make sure the school are aware you are interested.

You should contact Hertfordshire County Council who will be able to provide advice an information of your status on the continued interest list by calling 0300 123 4043.

In Year Admissions

An ‘In Year Admission’ is when a child already attends a school but wishes to transfer to another school during the academic year.

If you are a new resident living in Hertfordshire and are looking for information on how to apply for a school place for your child you can do so through the County Council’s website.

You can find out the nearest school closest to your child by clicking here:


If you are unhappy with your child’s school allocation you can appeal against the decision. You can do this by contacting your local County Councillor who will be able to assist you. To see a full list of County Councillors click here

* This help guide is by no means definitive, nor should it be relied upon as legal advice *